Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A Gift.

I can't help it. I am getting more and more excited about the Wily Mo Pena acquisition each day. He is a gift, a gift that (I hope) keeps on giving. He's only been here two days - two days! - and look what we've got already:

1.) Every at-bat is a white-knuckle flight! Take today for example. In his first at-bat he was so badly embarrassed swinging at strike three he actually flung his bat into the stands. On his next at-bat, he went yard.

2.) He is eminently quotable. His first gem, and one for the ages: "Sometimes, when I hit a ball hard, I can hit it far away." Seriously. It is perfection its egomaniacal naivete, and also its, um, kind of scary hilarity.

3.) He already has a moniker, and it is all things good, and funny:

Wily Mo Pena, Super Genius.


I mean, we've all thought it, reading the box scores for Cincy or perusing the player stat pages, but he is now a Red Sox, and that means that one of MY players goes by the nickname Wily Mo Pena, Super Genius. This makes me happy beyond my ability to describe and if you're not getting it, well, I don't know what I can do for you. Just trust me; this is good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

overheard in a cafe in PR during wbc. waiter from boston talking to 2 locals who had recently been to bean town.
one of the locals says, "the only good thing to happen to boston is big papi."
amen and glasses were raised in a toast.